Top Tips For Your Stay at MV
Download Mountain Valley's 'Top Tips' : Mountain Valley Top Tips
We are approximately 90km or approximately a one hour drive in good conditions from Taupo on the Napier-Taupo road, (State Highway 5) and 60km or 45 minute drive from central Napier.
We have blue signs on the Napier-Taupo road coming in either direction, so keep a look out for them. The first in both directions is 5km from the end of McVicar Road.
When you turn off State Highway 5, Mountain Valley is 4km along McVicar Road, which is unsealed so can get a bit bumpy. Please drive slowly as it becomes very dusty in dry conditions and our neighbours have small children and animals regularly crossing the road.
Standard check in time is from 2.00pm. We will attempt to accommodate early arrivals if your room is available.
Standard check out time is 10.00am. Late checkouts can be arranged based on availability.
- We strongly recommend you fuel up before leaving Taupo or Napier as there are no petrol/diesel stations on the Napier-Taupo road.
Bedding & Towels
Linen and towels are provided in all but the Kingfisher bunkhouse rooms.
We do not service rooms during your stay, but if you are here for more than three nights we can arrange for clean towels on request.
Both our cottages and chalets have self catering facilities. Guests staying in Lodge rooms normally opt to eat in the restaurant.
There are two self-catering camp kitchens located on both levels which are available for all guests. These each have a fridge, stove top elements. You will need to bring your own crockery, cutlery and cooking implements.
- There is also a BBQ for hire which is $10 for gas as well as a $25 cleaning bond.
Bar & Restaurant
Our Restaurant/Bar doesn’t have standard operating hours but opens on request so if you would like meals please arrange with the office.
Our bar and restaurant are located in the campground. We have an a-la-carte menu and a casual menu of burgers, toasted sandwiches, fries etc. If you would like an a-la-carte evening meal bookings must be made by 2pm each day to ensure we are prepared for you. We can send you a menu with our prices and what is on offer to help you decide what you would like to order. The casual menu is available from 5.30pm to 7.30pm also by arrangement on arrival.
Breakfasts can be either a full cooked meal or a continental option. Lunches are a packed meal for you to have at a time and location that suits you however we can provide from a menu in the restaurant by prior arrangement.
We also offer buffet meals for groups by prior arrangement, please contact the office for further information.
- Breakfast is served around 8.00am and dinner from 6.30-7.30pm. For groups we can arrange meals at times which may better suit you.
Please make sure we know of any allergies or special dietary requirements at least 24 hours before you arrive. Procuring extra or “special” ingredients involves a 130km round trip, which we are very happy to do provided we have sufficient notice.
Please note: We recommend giving 24 hours’ notice if you require meals, other than from the casual menu, on the day of arrival.
- The bar and restaurant is a fully licenced premise, as such, only alcohol bought in the bar can be consumed in these places.
If you plan to self cater, please make sure you arrive with all the provisions you require for your stay. We do have some basics - bread, milk, ice and snack foods available.
The closest supermarket for provisions is in Napier, 60km from Mountain Valley.
All tap water on the property is drinkable.
- We allow pets as long as it has been arranged prior to arrival. They are not allowed in the accommodation and must be on a leash at all times.
- The laundry room is located in the deck area of the lodge beside the toilets.
Coin operated: Washing machine $3 per wash ($1 + $2 coin); Dryer $2/$4 depending on load size (2/4 x $1 coins); washing powder is $2 per load if required.
We recommend if you are staying for a few days that you bring a small supply of coins. We may also have change in the bar or at reception.
We have the following available – Horse Trekking, Rafting, Paintball, Archery, Clay bird Shooting, Mountain Biking, walking tracks, Fishing. We also have River bugs and Inflatable kayaks for hire.
Please let us know what guided activities you would like to book prior to, or on, arrival.
Our white water rafting expeditions require a minimum number (see below) - so please let us know well in advance if you want to book a white water trip so that we can accommodate you.
Minimum numbers for activities:
- Horse Treks - 2 people
- Grade 1-2 raft trips - 2 people
- White water rafting - 6 people
- Multi day raft trips - 6 people
- Raft Fishing - no minimum
- Other activities or specialised packages - on request
If you enjoy fishing, we have great access to the Mohaka river from our lodge and several other points along the river within a short walk or drive.
Fishing licences are available from reception through the NZ Fish & Game website.
We have a limited supply of spinning rods and tackle for hire, so suggest that you bring your own with you.
A full selection of fishing tackle and equipment is available from Hunting & Fishing on Prebensen Drive, Napier, or from various stores in Taupo.
Walking & Running
We have a variety of beautiful, easily accessible walks or runs around the property ranging from 2-5km. Maps of the property are available from reception.
- Due to the proximity to large areas of commercial pine forest, a fire ban is imposed on all residents of the area during the dry summer months. It is however sometimes possible to have a small camp fire or to use the fireplace outside the lodge. Please ask about this before your arrival so that we can let you know the latest situation.
- We do not allow shooting on the property, unless as part of a supervised activity organised by Mountain Valley.
- For safety and insurance reasons, we do not allow our guests to bring ATV's or motorbikes (unless you have arrived on one!).
GPs and a 24-hour accident and injury clinic are available in Napier.
The closest hospital facilities are in Hastings, just south of Napier and a one hour drive from Mountain Valley.
- We accept Eftpos, Visa & Mastercard, or cash and require accounts to be settled prior to departure.
Mountain Valley Booking and Cancellation Policy
Reservation & Cancellation Policy - Leisure & Tourism
Please note that Corporate and group bookings are subject to separate booking conditions.
- To confirm a booking we require credit card details (Visa or Mastercard), valid at the time of your visit.
- Corporate and group events require a 10% deposit to confirm the booking and the standard cancellation policy still applies.
- Please ensure you inform us of any special dietary requirements for any restaurant bookings a minimum of 48 hours prior to arrival.
- Pets by arrangement prior to arrival only.
- Strictly no shooting.
- For safety and insurance reasons, ATV's and Motorbikes are not permitted.
- Prices include GST
- Wherever possible, you will receive via email, a confirmation for the numbers and services stipulated in your booking.
- Please note that Mountain Valley reserves the right to postpone or cancel any activities in the event of operational issues such as weather and/or land conditions. In this event you will be offered an alternative date of your choice subject to availability. If you are unable to change the date of your activity you will be eligible for a full activity refund.
- A 2.5% surcharge will be added automatically to credit card transactions.
- A non-refundable deposit/full payment may be charged to credit card on confirmation of booking.
- Please note that organisers of events with multiple guests are responsible for any fees owing in line with our cancellation policy or their guests who leave with money owing.
- Acceptance of these conditions is for the numbers stipulated in your booking.
- Please see cancellation fees below for any reduction of numbers, or cancellation of the entire booking:
- 48 hours – 100% of fees (if unable to on-sell)
- Cancellation of bookings at peak weekends will not be refunded
- No show with no notice – 100% of fees (if unable to on-sell)
- Postponement – please apply to us to waive the fees